Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Birthday Month...

August is a month full of birthdays. Birthdays of ladies I love, admire and adore.

The 8th of August was my Grandma Vowles birthday. This year Grandma has been gone for 8 years. My Grandma was born and raised in Tennessee and never lost her the Southern charm that I'm sure was part of the reason Grandpa was so in love with her. The things I loved best about her was her twangy drawl, her ladylike manners, her great ability to laugh especially at herself, her homemade desserts, her soft skin, and especially her never ending love. I wish so much that she could have met Blair and the boys. Especially my little rascal Dillon. She loved babies and would have died over his chubby cheeks.

August 18th is my sister in law Tara's birthday. I won't say how old she is this year because that's just rude. That and we will be the same age in 2 months. Relationships are different between brother's and sisters so when we were married it was hard to understand the dynamic between Blair and Tara. They are the same age as Betsy and I and we were so close and they seemed to barely speak. Norma has told me of a neighbor who once asked her when they were kids if either one even knew how! I am trying to make it up to her by being the sister she never had. It took me years to get as close as I am with my own sisters so I look forward to having a new sister and making years and years of memories with her too! Happy Birthday T!

Yesterday was my Grandma Hunt's birthday. Grandma passed away in Fall 2005. When I heard she was sick I made a trip to see her and I am glad because it was the last time I saw her. I took pictures that day of Jordan with her and my Dad. I'm glad that even though he will never remember that he was able to meet her. I always had a special relationship with her. I think it is because I was the spitting image of her baby boy. She came down for a week every month and stayed with us while she attended the Temple. I wish I had the the same diligence. I miss her. I miss her back scratches. I miss going to get her Lemon ice cream at Baskin Robbins for her. I miss her stories.

Today (I think...I hope I am right) is the birthday of one of my favorite people: Blair's Aunt Valerie. Valerie is one of Heavenly Father's special children. I have loved her from the first day I met her. She has a love for life that cannot be matched. Watching her family lovingly care for her has been a blessing to me. The relationship she has with my sweet father in law always touches my heart. Oh how she loves little children! She spent a few months this year living with Norma and you have never seen two sadder boys after she left. We begged and pleaded for her to stay (and are counting down the days until she comes again). We love you Valerie! Have a wonderful birthday!

Saturday is the birthday of a very important lady. My mother in law Norma. It's hard to put into words my relationship with her. In six years she has become my Mother, my teacher, my confidante, and my friend. She loves my boys with a Mother's heart and cares for them every day. There's no way I can repay her for that. I think of her as a 50's housewife. In a good way. She dotes on her husband and it is so cute. Happy Birthday Norma! Can't wait to see you in the saddle (you can't uninvite me!!)

2 comments:

j&krosser said...

I forgot about the Lemon ice cream! We would go to the one in Flagstaff when I drove her there for appointments.

The Maestas Family said...

Thanks Mindy! You definitely are the sister I never had and the sister I always wanted!

You have GOT to get some pictures of mom in the saddle... and you have GOT to post them on your blog!!!

Post a Comment