Sunday, December 14, 2008

Caramel

My Grandpa Vowles made THE BEST Christmas candies. Caramels, turtles, chocolate covered peanuts, almond bark, toffee....basically any delicious candy concoction imaginable. Grandpa passed away this year so I decided to try one of recipes on my own to honor him this Christmas season.

Actually I wasn't on my own per se. I did have two handsome handy helpers.

Dillon gave up after my impromptu photo shoot and headed to bed.

Jordan was a trooper and helped me measure out all the ingredients.

And as always provided me with much needed comic relief.



I learned some very valuable lessons.
1. Caramel takes a VERY long time to reach the needed temp.

2. You cannot leave the stove for any reason or you get brown floaties (from the burned bottom).

3. If your thermometer falls into the pot and you take too long figuring out how to fish it out without badly burning yourself, you can quickly overcook your caramel.

4. While Grandpa's caramel was chewy golden goodness the recipe still tastes great as break your teeth golden goodness. (Think See's Candy suckers)

5. If you slave over the stove for an hour you will feel obligated to risk the health of your teeth to eat your wares.

And last but not least:

6. Christmas time makes you miss your loved ones. Old, dear, far, near or passed on. All of them!



5 comments:

G Gang said...

Sounds like fun. I probably would have given up. Bella wants to say hi: 7ununhm c7777777777t

j&krosser said...

Who needs elves when you've got cute little helpers like that?? How fun!

Kristin said...

Your experience sounds like mine with trying to make a coconut cream pie for Thanksgiving. At least I can use the kids as my excuse for it not turning out! I love the homemade caramels too. I wish I knew how to make them perfect too. You will have to teach me!

The Triana Family said...

Melodie has spent YEARS perfecting Grandpas caramels. She has notes in her cookbook that have the year and the temp she boiled it to, and the result, even 2 degrees changes it almost drastically. But anyways, for helpful hints on caramels , ask Melodies, hers are almost perfect!

Kelly and Megan said...

How fun. Candy always sounds fun to make but a little too intimidating for me! What fun memories to have of your Grandpa.

Oh ya, your background is so cute! Do you design it yourself or pay to have a super cute one?

Post a Comment